Impressions of the Red House
The "Red House" - which was originally built in the 19th century as the workshop of a knife or scissors sharpener - was used from 1945 as a studio house, first by the painter Erwin Bowien (1899-1972), later by all the artists of the community. Several alterations date from this period. Particularly noteworthy are the coloured glass windows by the important Cologne glass artist Fritz Hans Lauten (1935-1989), which he installed himself in the 1960s as a frequent visitor to the house, thus giving the studio an unmistakable architectural note that still exists today.
The painter Bettina Heinen-Ayech (1932-2020) left a fresco and a frieze in the central upper room, parts of which are still preserved. In several places in the house - both outside and inside - there are artistically designed tiles by the painter Bettina. All the painters of the artists' colony - Erwin Bowien (1899-1972) , Amud Uwe Millies (1932-2008) and Bettina Heinen-Ayech (1937-2020) - used the rooms as studios and exhibition spaces.